There are very few places on the planet anymore that you can't get some type of cell phone coverage. Most Americans wouldn't know what to do if you asked them to give up their cell phone so a couple of things to consider before you leave.
- If you are traveling internationally talk to your provider about the plans they offer. Don't assume that your current plan will be usable in the foreign country.
- Make sure phone is compatible with the networks in the countries you are traveling to.
- Data is very expensive when you are traveling internationally.
- It might be cheaper for you to purchase a local SIM card with a local number. It just depends on how long you will be traveling and how you will be using your phone.
- Don't expect to have access to 4G and LTE networks.
- Stop and really consider how you will use your phone on your trip before you start spending money on cell phone plans while you are traveling.
- You might be able to do everything you need via WiFi.
- Finally, consider turning your phone off and immerse yourself in the local culture